Eduwatch welcomes arrests over alleged sexual assault at Bolgatanga Girls Senior High School

Africa Education Watch (Eduwatch) has welcomed the arrest of two security personnel accused of sexually assaulting a 14-year-old student at Bolgatanga Girls Senior High School.

The education advocacy organisation said it was deeply concerned by reports of the alleged abuse, which is said to have taken place on the school premises. It also praised the media for bringing the case to public attention while protecting the identity of the child.

The Ghana Education Service (GES) said on Thursday, 20 August, that it had received a report concerning an alleged sexual assault involving a student at the school and two of its watchmen.

The two suspects were arrested and handed over to the police for further investigation, according to the GES. They have also been interdicted with immediate effect.

Preliminary information provided by the education authorities indicates that the student is a special needs student who is receiving medication.

The alleged incident reportedly occurred after the student suffered a relapse and needed medical attention. The GES said the circumstances surrounding the incident were being investigated.

In a statement, the service said it would determine the appropriate disciplinary action once the investigations had been completed.

“Thorough investigations into the matter are currently ongoing. Based on the outcome of the investigations, Management will apply the appropriate sanctions in accordance with the GES Code of Conduct and the laws of Ghana.

“Management cautions all staff of the Service to uphold the highest standards of professionalism and to protect the safety, dignity and wellbeing of every student.

“Management further cautions that the Service will not tolerate any conduct that compromises the safety and wellbeing of students.

“Management assures parents, guardians and the general public that the matter is being treated with the seriousness it deserves,” the statement said.

Eduwatch said it had been informed that the two accused men were expected to appear in court on Thursday, 20 August 2026, to face criminal charges.

“We have been informed that the two suspects are expected to appear before court today, 20 August 2026, to face criminal charges. Eduwatch will closely follow the court proceedings and the broader investigations, while respecting the rights of the accused persons and protecting the identity, dignity and best interests of the child.

“However, the reported treatment of the child following the alleged abuse raises equally serious child protection and education rights concerns.”

The organisation said it would monitor both the court proceedings and the wider investigation. It stressed that the rights of the accused must be respected while the identity, dignity and best interests of the student are protected.

The arrests came after the GES initiated action in response to the report. The two watchmen remain subject to police investigation and administrative interdiction as the authorities establish what happened.

The GES has cautioned all staff to maintain professional standards and to safeguard the safety and wellbeing of students. It said conduct that places pupils at risk would not be tolerated and assured parents, guardians and the wider public that the case was being handled seriously.

You may like

Nana Ama McBrown thanks fans after 10,000 attend ‘AMA’ premiere

Stoke City linked with San Diego’s Ghana defender Manu Duah

Goztepe add Ghanaian-Emirati defender Richard Akonnor from Al-Jazira

MSK Zilina U19 add 18-year-old Ghana centre-back Yusif Haruna on loan

Harrogate Town add Brayden Johnson to National League squad on loan

Azam beat Tabora United 2-1 to make winning start in Ligi Kuu Bara Round 2

Public notice