87 Ghanaians return home as South Africa evacuation moves towards completion

The Government of Ghana has received the 11th group of nationals evacuated from South Africa following xenophobic attacks, with 87 people arriving in Accra on Monday, 17 August 2026.

The returnees landed at Accra International Airport as part of the second phase of the evacuation programme. They were met by Ambassador Harold Agyeman, the Coordinating Director, Political and Economic, at Ghana’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, alongside ministry staff and other senior government officials.

Ambassador Agyeman said the government remained committed to helping the evacuees rebuild their lives and reintegrate successfully into their communities. He encouraged them to remain hopeful and to use the skills and experiences gained in South Africa to contribute to Ghana’s development.

He also highlighted the need for unity, peaceful coexistence and solidarity across Africa. While acknowledging the difficulties faced by the returnees in South Africa, Ambassador Agyeman said Ghanaians and South Africans continued to belong to the wider African family.

The ambassador further announced that modest support packages had been made available to assist with the returnees’ resettlement and reintegration. The packages are being provided through the evacuation exercise under the leadership and direction of President John Dramani Mahama.

A representative of the evacuees thanked President Mahama and the Government of Ghana for organising their safe return and for the assistance given to them after their arrival.

Particular appreciation was expressed to the Foreign Affairs Minister, Hon. Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa, and his staff, as well as Ghana’s High Commission in Pretoria and other organisations involved in the evacuation process.

Officials from the Ghana Armed Forces, Ghana Immigration Service, National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO), Ghana Red Cross and Port Health authorities were present at the airport. Representatives of other relevant institutions also attended to provide support and help ensure the returnees’ transition back into their communities went smoothly.

The latest arrival means about 1,600 Ghanaians have now been evacuated from South Africa since May 2026. A further 300 people are expected to return in the coming weeks as Ghana works to complete the second phase of the operation.

The evacuation follows xenophobic attacks in South Africa that led affected Ghanaian nationals to seek assistance from their government. The authorities said the support provided on arrival was intended to help the returnees settle back into their respective communities and begin rebuilding their lives.

You may like

Ken Ashigbey questions action against assemblies linked to galamsey fees

Asokwa MP Patricia Appiagyei pledges support for security agencies after constituency tour

Anitemfi–Asukese road receives urgent repairs as Ghana officials pursue permanent solution

Ghana National Fire Service confirms 2025 rent allowance was completed in April

Wengam wins 89.61% mandate to lead Assemblies of God, Ghana

Akoma 87.9 FM draws hundreds to Kumasi Fufu Party despite heavy rain

Public notice