Election 2020: Ignore flyers – Nketia

The leadership of the main opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) has stated that there are no presidential aspirants yet since the party has not opened nominations.

This is in response to some flyers making the rounds announcing Second Deputy Speaker of Parliament Alban Bagbin as a preferred candidate.

General Secretary of the NDC, Johnson Asiedu Nketia, emphasised that the party was waiting for the report of the Kwesi Botchwey Committee to determine the factors that led to its defeat in the 2016 elections before taking any further steps.

For him, no member of the NDC has announced his candidature because the party’s regulations bar such actions, however, he said, the party cannot prevent speculations as they can only advise members not to engage in such acts.

“You cannot gag people in a political situation and that is why we have not opened nominations or asked anybody interested to come and file anything,” he told Moro Awudu on Class91.3FM’s Executive Breakfast Show on Wednesday, May 3.

He explained that “in these days of technology, you can take my head and put it somewhere and start circulating that I am Secretary General of an organisation”, however, the public should disregard such publications.

For him, the party is “on course” and has a clear plan for its activities but party members can express themselves so far as it does not flout any rules. He was of the view that debates must be encouraged because “political parties that do not allow rigorous debates are on their way to extinction”.

Meanwhile, Mr Bagbin’s aide, Konnuba Joseph, has said that the Nadowli-Kaleo MP will “consider” the calls on him by the grassroots to run for president in 2020 when the time comes.

Mr Joseph told Moro Awudu on Class91.3FM’s Executive Breakfast Show on Wednesday, 3 May that although Mr Bagbin, who has served in parliament since 1993, does not know those behind the circulation on social media of 2020 posters announcing him as the NDC’s preferred presidential candidate, he is well aware of several appeals on him to run for president and will consider those appeals in due time.

Source: GhanaWeb

You may like

2025 WAFU ZONE B: Ghana Defeats Niger 2-0 to Finish Third at 2025 WAFU U20 Championship

Sammy Gyamfi Sues Afia Schwarzenegger for Defamation; Demands GH₵10 Million In Damages 

One Dead in Ejura Fuel Station Fire as GNFS Warns Against Unauthorized Fuel Storage

Woman returns from holiday to find 70 chicks have hatched from eggs she bought

BBC radio presenter dies in car crash while on holiday with family

Family Demands Answers as Body of Ghanaian Student Who Died Mysteriously in Latvia Is Returned Home

Public notice

Mobile applications

Our mobile app is optimized for your phone. Download it for free!

Connect With Us

© 2025, dailypost | All Rights Reserved.
WP Radio
WP Radio
OFFLINE LIVE